Today is the Super Bowl!
But I won’t be watching it. We aren’t really sports fans at my place. Like, at all.
However, I do LOVE making snack dishes that can be used for such occasions! I am a huge snacker, and there’s something so nice about having something delicious to munch on while enjoying the company of others. And although this weekend has been more about barricading myself in my apartment with the pets and my Nintendo 3DS (yep, I’m a gamer), I still felt like making myself a crunchy, salty finger food.
Maybe the Super Bowl spirit is rubbing off on me a bit.
Thus, the following nacho recipe was born, which turned out so great that I’m sharing it for you to enjoy the crispy barbecue cheesiness as well. Enjoy!
Vegan Cheezy BBQ Nachos
1 bag Frito Lay Baked Tostitos (or any type of tortilla chips, but I prefer these because they’re low fat and easy to find)
2 cups cooked lentils
1.5 c chopped spinach
1 zucchini, diced
2 green onions, chopped
BBQ Cheezy Sauce:
2 c almond milk (or whatever milk you like)
1/4 c flour (I used white whole wheat)
2/3 c nutritional yeast
1/2 c barbecue sauce
2 tsp onion powder
2 tsp garlic powder
1.5 tsp cumin
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2. Spray a large baking sheet with cooking spray. Arrange chips in a single layer on sheet.
3. Make the Cheezy sauce by whisking all sauce ingredients in a small sauce pan and heating over medium heat until it thickens, stirring frequently.
4. Sprinkle lentils, spinach, zucchini, and green onions evenly over chips.
5. Pour prepared Cheezy sauce over everything as evenly as possible.
6. Bake for about 10 minutes, until the sauce has darkened a bit and chips are browned slightly.
Serve immediately, and enjoy!